Experience Brings Results

Can you file for workers' compensation after an injury?

You were on the job when it happened; someone dropped a large piece of wood from above at the construction site, and that wood struck you in the head. You were rushed to the hospital, but you still suffered a severe traumatic brain injury.

While you're making good progress on your recovery, you know that the medical bills will be high and that you'll need long-term assistance. Fortunately, people in your situation can rely on workers' compensation.

As an employee at the business where you were hurt, you are entitled to workers' compensation insurance in most cases. Oregon's workers' compensation system provides compensation for medical expenses and your lost wages after an injury.

After an injury on the job, you should let your employer know you got hurt with a written notice. Place important information on the notice, like where you got hurt, how your injury occurred and when it happened. Your employer likely has a specific form you should fill out, but if you are unable to due to your injuries, your attorney or a family member may fill out the form for you.

Workers' compensation claims do have deadlines, so it's important that you file your claim as soon as possible. Even if your employer is upset about the accident, he or she cannot deny you the right to a claim. If you are struggling to get a claim submitted or are facing backlash from your employer, your attorney can help. You have a right to compensation when you're hurt on the job, and your employer cannot stand in the way of that claim.

Source: Oregon State Bar, "Workers' Compensation: What Workers Should Know," accessed June 02, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact Us

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Subscribe to This Blog's Feed FindLaw Network

Practice Areas

Office Location

Schoenfeld & Schoenfeld, P.C.
2051 SE Belmont Street
Portland, OR 97214
Phone: 503-208-9089
Toll Free: 888-366-5805
Fax: 503-236-1867
Map and Directions

Hood River Office
216 Columbia Street
Hood River, OR 97031
Map and Directions

Review Us