Experience Brings Results

How to document lost wages after an accident

A multitude of expenses associated with getting into a car accident exist. Your vehicle must be repaired, your medical bills must be paid and in addition to all this, you will likely be losing money as a result of the collision, too. This is the reality many people face when they find that they cannot work as they are recovering from the injuries caused by a car accident that was not their fault.

Luckily, though, there is recourse available that can help you fight against this injustice and protect your finances after an accident. It is important to document the financial impact of the collision, though, including any instances of lost wages. The following are three ways to accomplish this:

1. Prove prior pay

The first thing you must do if you want to document loss of wages is prove what pay you were earning previously. This can be done by collecting your pay stubs to show what salary or hourly pay you were earning before your injury. It is important to collect your detailed pay stubs to show what your base wage is before deductions so that your case is as clear as possible.

2. Wage verification

If you do not typically receive pay stubs, or if you receive direct deposit without a pay stub, you may be able to verify your income with a wage verification letter from your employer. This letter should serve the same purpose as a pay stub by outlining your base wage, any applicable deductions and showing your average salary or hourly wage.

3. Tax returns

Car accident victims who are self-employed or work as contractors may be unable to provide any of the aforementioned documents. In such cases, tax returns may be sufficient in demonstrating your pay and proving a loss of income due to the accident. You should gather any supporting documents that may be relevant, too, such as accounts receivable receipts and deposit slips.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact Us

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Subscribe to This Blog's Feed FindLaw Network

Practice Areas

Office Location

Schoenfeld & Schoenfeld, P.C.
2051 SE Belmont Street
Portland, OR 97214
Phone: 503-208-9089
Toll Free: 888-366-5805
Fax: 503-236-1867
Map and Directions

Hood River Office
216 Columbia Street
Hood River, OR 97031
Map and Directions

Review Us