Experience Brings Winning Results

This is what you should do if you’re in a crash in Portland

On Behalf of | Jul 13, 2017 | Car Accidents |

You saw the car next to you approaching the curb a little too closely, but you didn’t think the driver would jerk the car so far back onto the road after noticing. When he did, he lost control of the vehicle. Being in a two-lane road, you had nowhere to go, and that meant that you couldn’t get out of the way. The driver’s fishtailing vehicle crashed into yours, and now it’s damaged and you’re hurt.

You’re not the only person who has been in a situation like this. You know that you can call for help, but what else do you have to do since you’ve been hit? Primarily, if you are in an accident in Oregon, it’s important that you report it.

If you are in an accident where there is damage to a vehicle of $1,500 or more, you need to report the accident. Additionally, if a vehicle has to be towed or if there is property damage over $1,500, you need to report the incident. It should go without saying that crashes need to be reported if there are any injuries or deaths.

Remember that you should always call the police or 911 for emergency care if you’re involved in a crash. However, doing so does not release you from the obligation of filing a report with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). If you fail to file a crash report, you may lose your license as a penalty.

You may want to look into your legal options after a crash to make sure you get an appropriate settlement. Between medical bills and lost wages, you need to receive the money you deserve.

Source: Oregon.gov, “Accident Reporting and Responsibilities,” accessed July 13, 2017

FindLaw Network