Experience Brings Results

This is what you should do if you're in a crash in Portland

You saw the car next to you approaching the curb a little too closely, but you didn't think the driver would jerk the car so far back onto the road after noticing. When he did, he lost control of the vehicle. Being in a two-lane road, you had nowhere to go, and that meant that you couldn't get out of the way. The driver's fishtailing vehicle crashed into yours, and now it's damaged and you're hurt.

You're not the only person who has been in a situation like this. You know that you can call for help, but what else do you have to do since you've been hit? Primarily, if you are in an accident in Oregon, it's important that you report it.

If you are in an accident where there is damage to a vehicle of $1,500 or more, you need to report the accident. Additionally, if a vehicle has to be towed or if there is property damage over $1,500, you need to report the incident. It should go without saying that crashes need to be reported if there are any injuries or deaths.

Remember that you should always call the police or 911 for emergency care if you're involved in a crash. However, doing so does not release you from the obligation of filing a report with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). If you fail to file a crash report, you may lose your license as a penalty.

You may want to look into your legal options after a crash to make sure you get an appropriate settlement. Between medical bills and lost wages, you need to receive the money you deserve.

Source: Oregon.gov, "Accident Reporting and Responsibilities," accessed July 13, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact Us

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Subscribe to This Blog's Feed FindLaw Network

Practice Areas

Office Location

Schoenfeld & Schoenfeld, P.C.
2051 SE Belmont Street
Portland, OR 97214
Phone: 503-208-9089
Toll Free: 888-366-5805
Fax: 503-236-1867
Map and Directions

Hood River Office
216 Columbia Street
Hood River, OR 97031
Map and Directions

Review Us