Experience Brings Winning Results

Workers’ compensation in the City of Portland, Oregon

On Behalf of | Jul 20, 2016 | Workers' Compensation |

The City of Portland is self-insured for workers’ compensation, which means the city itself pays for the costs of injuries suffered on the job. The city also self-administers this coverage through its City Risk Workers’ Compensation Team.

When you seek medical treatment for an injury you suffer on the job, you need to fill out a form identified as an 801. This form should be completed right away by you and your work supervisor. The supervisor should then turn the document in to the City Risk Workers’ Compensation Team. It’s helpful if photos are taken, if witnesses’ names are documented and if statements can be taken. Any third-party liability concerns need to be reported to City Risk.

Employees should always report injuries or illnesses to their supervisors immediately. You need to cooperate with the claim investigation and process, and you should obtain a work status report from your medical provider after each appointment. This document states which restrictions are placed on you. This needs to be turned in to your supervisor and to Risk Management for documentation of your care.

The city does offer a transitional program to help you get back to work sooner. This program aims to help you work a modified shift at your place of employment until you’re capable of moving into your old job. New training may also be provided if there is another job you can have in the meantime.

If you suffer an injury on the job, you have a right to this compensation. If it’s delayed or denied, your attorney may be able to help you appeal the decision.

Source: PortlandOregon.Gov, “Welcome to Workers’ Comp 101,” accessed July 20, 2016

FindLaw Network