Experience Brings Results

January 2016 Archives

What to do when you're in a car accident

What are your responsibilities if you get into a car accident with a dangerous driver? Oregon's Department of Motor Vehicles is clear on your responsibilities and how to handle any injuries or claims you have. Your attorney can help you with your claim if you need to be hospitalized or file against multiple parties, but you'll want to take these steps before you get to that stage of your case.

How can you avoid being hit by a car?

Riding a bicycle can be dangerous, because drivers don't always expect to see a cyclist on the road. To help prevent accidents, you can't always rely on others to do their part or to recognize that you're in front of or beside them. Instead, focus on what you can do to stay safe, like making sure to use a headlight and to wave at motorists to make yourself seen.

Drivers and a duty of care toward pedestrians

Drivers have a duty of care to pedestrians. If a pedestrian gets hurt because a driver was speeding, failed to yield, didn't signal a turn, was under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or disobeyed traffic signals, then that driver can be held accountable for his or her actions and the injuries and costs associated with injuries for the victim. In most cases, it's the job of the pedestrian to prove that the driver was being negligent.

Car accident results in fatality at dark Oregon intersection

If you lose a loved one in a pedestrian accident, it can be horrifying to hear that the driver hasn't been charged. Fortunately, that doesn't mean you can't seek out compensation from the other party. You can still put together a civil case for the loss of your loved one, and it could be accepted and paid out by the court. You will need to show that negligence took place, and a police report can help, but further investigation and medical reports may also be used to show how fast a car was traveling, the speed at impact and other beneficial facts. Your attorney can then negotiate with the other party's insurance carrier or help you take the person who struck your loved one to court.

Cyclist injured following crash on Oregon highway

When you're a cyclist, you know that you have every right to be on the road as anyone else. In some areas, you'll be allowed on highways and busy roads, but that doesn't give a driver the right to hit you if you're not moving fast enough or need to be passed.

Contact Us

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Subscribe to This Blog's Feed FindLaw Network

Practice Areas

Office Location

Schoenfeld & Schoenfeld, P.C.
2051 SE Belmont Street
Portland, OR 97214
Phone: 503-208-9089
Toll Free: 888-366-5805
Fax: 503-236-1867
Map and Directions

Hood River Office
216 Columbia Street
Hood River, OR 97031
Map and Directions